PHP, Python and Java developer located at Hvaler, Norway. Main interests include digital mapping, search and scalability. Mats is a DZone MVB and is not an employee of DZone and has posted 28 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

Solr: Replication not starting?

07.20.2011
| 6914 views |
  • submit to reddit

After upgrading our Solr-servers from 1.4.1 to 4.0-trunk (to be sure we were ready for the next version), I had trouble with getting replication to start again. It worked perfectly back with 1.4.1, but after upgrading to 4.0-trunk, it simply wouldn’t start.

I had to upgrade the machines individually (to allow the current index to continue serve requests), I removed the replication and then directed all the traffic to the slave. After updating the master (which worked after actually remembering to clean out the old webapps from Tomcat and adding a few new settings) and reindexing, most of the traffic were directed to it, and the slave were upgraded to the new Solr-version. I turned on replication again, updated the configuration file with the needed settings and started the slave. Nothing happened. Weird.

Time to debug!

On any slaves there’s a “replication.properties” file in the data directory ($SOLRHOME/data) which contain information about the current replication status. This file were created, indicating that at least the replication was attempting to run. If you open the file in a text editor (or just cat it), you should be able to read a bit of meta information about the replication state.

replicationFailedAtList=1311072270004,1311072240006..
timesFailed=11

Seems like it’s trying, but for some reason it doesn’t work. First thing to check would be to grep for replication in the log on both the master and the slave, and see if there’s any requests being made at all. There might be, but the replication still doesn’t start.

Try fetching the current state yourself to see what response the master is serving. You can do this by using “GET” or “wget” or “curl” to make an HTTP request to the master Solr-server from the slave together with the URL from “masterUrl” in the requestHandler for /replication from solrconfig.xml:

GET http://example.com/solr/replication?command=indexversion

This should respond with something close to:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <response>
      <lst name="responseHeader">
        <int name="status">0</int>
        <int name="QTime">0</int>
      </lst>
      <long name="indexversion">1310994445934</long>
      <long name="generation">2</long>
    </response>

If “indexversion” is 0, this means that the master hasn’t triggered a replication yet, which may seem weird if you’ve just started the server and the slave doesn’t have any data at all.

The reason might be that the master has not been instructed to actually trigger a replication event (and unless a replication event has been triggered, the indexversion will be 0):

    <requestHandler name="/replication" class="solr.ReplicationHandler">
      <lst name="master">
        <str name="replicateAfter">commit</str>
        <str name="replicateAfter">startup</str>
        <str name="replicateAfter">optimize</str>

If you only have “commit” in the above list, a replication event will not be triggered unless you’ve actually performed a commit after the slave has connected for the first time. If you add “startup”, the replication will also be triggered when the master starts up (so that any connecting slaves will start replicating right away).

To fix the issue without restarting any nodes, issue a single commit to the master and watch as the slaves start replicating. To issue a commit through curl:

curl http://example.com/solr/update -H "Content-Type: text/xml" –data-binary '<commit />'


References
Published at DZone with permission of Mats Lindh, author and DZone MVB. (source)

(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)

Tags: