Geertjan is a DZone Zone Leader and has posted 468 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

So... Are You Speaking At JavaOne?

02.01.2008
The long awaited moment has arrived at last! Over the past hour or two, the rejection slips have been rolling in. Those who submitted proposals for doing presentations at JavaOne 2008 have received the "yay" or "nay" by this stage. How did you do? How many rejections did you get? And were any of those... notifications that you'll receive the greatest honor that can befall a speaker in the modern software speaking world? Maybe its because I work at Sun Microsystems (but I don't think that's the case) that everyone I know considers JavaOne the premier annual occasion to present a session on your latest "cool thing". Especially given that so many apply for a speaking spot at this event that those that get chosen tend to be pretty interesting. One really needs to "flaunt one's stuff" to make it through the throng for this one.

Personally, I've received the happy acceptance notification (though two times as many rejections, so I'm not boasting here by any means). I'm looking forward to the occasion! One of the presentations I'm doing will be with Kai Toedter from Siemens, where we'll talk about the Eclipse RCP versus the NetBeans Platform. It won't be a shoot out and it won't be competitive. Both of us see both products as being valuable and we believe there is place for both. So, sorry, there'll be no fighting. :-) Another acceptance notification was received for a BOF, but I'll talk about that another time.

And what about you? Has fate smiled upon you this year?

Published at DZone with permission of its author, Geertjan Wielenga.

Comments

Mikael Grev replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 4:56pm

> Has fate smiled upon you this year?

Yes, it has. :)

A Technical Session about GUI Layouts for Swing & SWT using MigLayout. :)

Matt Raible replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 4:05am

Nope.

Geert Bevin replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 4:28am

Yup, got a session and a BOF :-) * woohooo *

Guillaume Laforge replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 8:29am

Not much luck this year :-(

Geertjan Wielenga replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 8:35am

It really seems to be the hand of fate sometimes. I've been picking up the feeling that Groovy/Grails might be badly underrepresented this year. Let's wait and see what the full program will look like. Though I'm already looking forward to Geert and Mikael Grev's talks.

Michael Riecken replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 10:38am

I'm in - but that's one acceptance letter and two rejection letters.

Of course, the rejection letters came in first and the acceptance letter an hour later.  Do you think that they do that just to build up the tension?

Jim Bethancourt replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 11:38am in response to: Michael Riecken

I got accepted too for a BOF!!!  First time I've ever submitted.  Now the real trick is getting over there and getting time off work!

Cheers,
Jim Bethancourt
President, Houston Java Users Group
Technical Architect, ROME Corporation

Fabrizio Giudici replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 11:58am

Looks like there will be another NetBeans RCP talk... I'm in with blueMarine :-)

--Fabrizio Giudici

Rick Ross replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 12:07pm in response to: Fabrizio Giudici

[quote=fabriziogiudici]Looks like there will be another NetBeans RCP talk... I'm in with blueMarine :-)

--Fabrizio Giudici

[/quote]

Great to see you here, Fabrizio, and congratulations on getting your blueMarine talk accepted! I hope we'll also see you become active in the new NetBeans Zone  where I think you could be an excellent contributor.

Best,
Rick

Alex Ruiz replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 1:19pm

I proposed three BOFs...and all of them got rejected :(

Fortunately, Yvonne's session about GUI testing got accepted...and I'm co-speaker :D

-Alex.

Andres Almiray replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 1:39pm

I got 1 session and 2 bofs on Groovy, but I have the same feeling as Geertjan.

Chris Richardson replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 3:14pm

I got five rejections and 1 acceptance.

My talk is on Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud and my EC2Deploy framework: http://chris-richardson.blog-city.com/running_jee_applications_on_amazon...

Chris

Eben Hewitt replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 4:08pm

Our BOF was accepted for "Designing and Implementing a Real-World SOA".

Jean-Marie Dautelle replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 4:08pm

After years of trying, perseverance paid off!

This year I did submit three abstracts, one of them was "The Hitchhiker Guides to the JSR-275 Units and Measure API" which I thought had a good chance... But to my surprise, the jury selected "Fully Time Deterministic Java" derived from a paper presented to NASA rocket scientists few months ago (Space 2007). The paper is available here!

I hope to see you there in great number! Even if you don't work on real time applications, the concepts presented there (e.g. separation of concerns) are real cost savers regardless of the type of project you work on (including web applications).

Graeme Rocher replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 4:36pm

I got one Grails session and a combined Groovy and Grails patterns for JavaEE talk accepted, and one on Groovy meta programming rejected. So 2 out of 3 is not bad, but I'm glad Andres got some accepted because Guillaume got pretty much all of his Groovy talks rejected :-(

Considering there were 13 Groovy talks last year and they were some of the most popular sessions it sure is disappointing.

James Williams replied on Fri, 2008/02/01 - 4:41pm

I got 2 Groovy BOFs accepted (one of which is with Andres) and one rejection for a tech session.

Haytham Fathey replied on Fri, 2014/02/28 - 5:32am