Ken Rimple heads Chariot Solutions' training and mentoring programs, and has developed and/or delivered courseware and seminars in a variety of technologies such as Maven, OSGi, Groovy, Grails and Spring. Throughout his career, Ken has always made it a priority to teach others what he has learned. Ken has served as the technical co-chair of both the Fall Forecast 2008 Cloud Computing Conference and the 2009 - 2012 Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise conferences. He hosts a popular podcast, the Chariot TechCast, and has led or participated in projects written in Java since Java 1.0.2. Ken taught the first Philadelphia-area Sun Introduction to Java course in the late 1990s. He is the co-author (along with Srini Penchikala) of Spring Roo in Action for Manning Publications. He is also an avid photographer and jazz drummer. Ken is a DZone MVB and is not an employee of DZone and has posted 35 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

Roo Flex add-on is ALIVE!

01.03.2011

It's always good to ask.  The Roo Flex add-on had been incompatible with Roo 1.1.0, and I've been working on the rich web chapter.  I had checked in with Jeremy Grelle, the lead on the Spring Flex Integration framework, and he let me know that he got everything going again with a recent snapshot.

If you'd like to play with the Roo Flex integration libraries, here's what you need to do:

Download it!

Download the latest snapshot jar for the add-on here (can't guarantee that it will work the same way for you, but the one 11/20 worked fine for me).

Install the JAR

Put the add-on JAR in the roo-1.1.0/bundle directory

Install the snapshot repository

Edit your project's <repositories> section and add:

<repository>
<id>spring-snapshot</id>
<name>Spring Portfolio Snapshot Repository</name>
<url>http://maven.springframework.org/snapshot</url>
<releases>
<enabled>false</enabled>
</releases>
<snapshots>
<enabled>true</enabled>
</snapshots>
</repository>

You have to do this for now, because the Blaze DS 4.0 integration libraries aren't checked in to a final repository.

Install it in your project

Now, just use the flex setup command to install the Flex scaffolding engine. When you want to build a scaffold, experiment with the flex remoting command to generate a scaffold View class for your Scaffold, such as:

flex remoting all --package ~.model

Running it

Just use mvn package jetty:run-exploded to kick off your application (Tomcat is fine but I am partial to Jetty for embedded maven runs). When the server starts, make sure to hit http://localhost:8080/appname/appname_scaffold.html to view your scaffolded UI.

References
Published at DZone with permission of Ken Rimple, author and DZone MVB. (source)

Comments

Mark Unknown replied on Mon, 2011/01/03 - 12:53pm

Excellent. Flex has the same issue that GWT has in that there is an "impedance mismatch" between the client (JavaScript/ActionScript) and the server (Java/etc). Of course there is less of one with GWT because the client code is in Java. One turn off for me with Flex has been this issue.

Note: But as everything, one must weight all the pros and cons.

Manuel Jordan replied on Mon, 2011/01/03 - 1:01pm

Thanks for this Ken, BTW, do you have Twitter account?, I already posted this link through my Twitter account

Ken Rimple replied on Wed, 2011/01/05 - 5:27am in response to: Manuel Jordan

I just became a MVB, and this post went up on Monday. So it's a little bit old, and I have to check up again and see how the Roo Flex plugin works in a later build. If it doesn't work for you, go back to the date I mentioned if you're using Roo 1.1.0. Sure, it's @krimple - I also host my Chariot TechCast podcast and tweet about it on @techcast. Best, Ken

Ken Rimple replied on Wed, 2011/01/05 - 5:38am in response to: Mark Unknown

It will be interesting to see these two add-ons evolve. I am holding off on any significant writeup in Roo in Action because I think they need a little more time to flesh out - things like modifying the scaffolded code, etc., will improve over time... They are already doing quite a lot - if you get the Flex add-on working, Jeremy explained that you can modify the ActionScript classes and it can update the Java Entities, and vice-versa. I forget if that was there in the build I tried. Ken

Ken Rimple replied on Wed, 2011/01/05 - 6:00am in response to: Ken Rimple

One more thing. In the comments on the original post, someone is having trouble with a very recent snapshot. If you have Roo 1.1.0, make sure to fetch the add-on snapshot dated 11/20/2010 as stated in the article above - it does work with that build (I used one late in the day in that day). The Roo team is nearing delivery of Roo 1.1.1, and I'm thinking that if you're working on a GIT up-to-date build of Roo or trying to get a newer version of the add-on working with Roo 1.1.0, you might just have trouble right now. Once 1.1.1 comes out I'll re-evaluate the Flex add-on and test. More later.

Manuel Jordan replied on Thu, 2011/01/06 - 9:56am in response to: Ken Rimple

Thanks for the reply Ken, I am right now following your both Twitters accounts, best regards!

County Line Nissan replied on Mon, 2011/08/01 - 11:13am

It looks like a brilliant and theoretically very productive piece technology. -County Line Nissan

Jessie Mear replied on Wed, 2011/09/07 - 8:14am

This addon aims to bring the productivity and usability benefits of Spring Roo to the development of Spring-based RIAs with Flex. ruby on rails

Carla Brian replied on Sat, 2012/06/09 - 3:03am

This is really great actually. At least it is accessible and it is free. Good job on this. - Garrett Hoelscher