Moving readVInt to C
This representation is not CPU friendly: for every single byte read, the CPU hits a hard-to-predict if statement (testing the high bit). Alternative block-based formats do a good job reducing branches while decoding, such as these encodings (PFOR-DELTA is currently an experimental codec attached as a patch on LUCENE-1410) or Google's Group Varint.
Anyway, I decided to test whether porting readVInt to C would gives us a performance boost. I had known the overhead of JNI was highish in the past, but I was hoping in modern JREs this had been improved.
Unfortunately, it wasn't: I see a ~10%-~40% slowdown, depending on the query. Likely hotspot's inability to inline native methods is also a factor here. Perhaps, if/when we switch to a block-based codec, we'll see a gain with a native implementation, since the amortized overhead of invoking JNI will be lower.
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)