I am Siva, a passionate java developer, open source enthusiast, blogger. I like to cover Java, Struts, Spring, Hibernate, Ajax Tutorials, How-To's and Best Practices. Sivaprasadreddy is a DZone MVB and is not an employee of DZone and has posted 34 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

JSF can be used for several purposes.

01.10.2011

Recently I got a wonderful opportunity to work with JSF and I couldn't stop myself sharing my feeling with everyone.

By god's grace till last month i didn't a chance to work on JSF. But recently i have to work on a project developed in JSF 1.x.

After spending few days on JSF technology I realized that JSF is not only a web framework and we can use it for several purposes.
Below is just a small list of purposes.

1. To test the patience and mental strength of a developer.
2. If you are a team lead/manager and you want to take revenge on a team member you can allot him to work on a JSF project.
3. If your client is not satisfied with your company services and ending the relationship with the organization and you are working on the last project for that client. You can use JSF for that project and deliver a useless, unmaintainable junk and waste a lot of clients money in terms of billing.
4. If anybody wants to move out of java or entirely from IT and is postponing that decision then allot him to work on a JSF project. He will move to new career with in 1 week.
5. In future if we want to show how to write stateful component oriented junk we can keep some JSF projects and show them for reference.

I know there are some JSF fans across the world and they might scold me for this post.
If you want to scold me please scold me in Error 500: "{2}" Conversion Error setting value ''{0}'' for ''{1}'' format because this is what JSF barks for whatever wrong thing happens in this world.

GOD, Save the java community from JSF. After working on JSF I am going to YOGA classes.

ALL IZ WELL. ALL IZ WELL.

Thanks,

Siva(One more JSF Victim)

Published at DZone with permission of Sivaprasadreddy Katamreddy, author and DZone MVB.

Comments

Jonathan Fisher replied on Wed, 2011/01/12 - 4:06pm

Thank goodness for jsf2.0

Slim Ouertani replied on Wed, 2011/01/12 - 4:57pm

Too late to think jsf. Thanks for sharing

George Jiang replied on Wed, 2011/01/12 - 5:50pm

I have worked with JSF 1.1/Rich Faces/Seam and ASP.NET in the past. My experience is that JSF1.1/Richfaces 3/Seam 2 is much much easier than ASP.NET in

- building Ajax into your Web app
- building a layered Web application instead of the RAD type app

I have also looked at JSF 2 recently but cannot see anything significant there not already available in JSF1.1/Richfaces 3/Seam 2.

George Jiang replied on Wed, 2011/01/12 - 6:19pm in response to: George Jiang

Read in another thread someone is switching from Richfaces to JSF 2/Primefaces. Maybe give it a try.

Jonathan Fisher replied on Wed, 2011/01/12 - 6:13pm in response to: Slim Ouertani

JSF2.0 is annotation based, and shares little DNA with JSF1.x other than a name. Take a look at http://www.primefaces.org/showcase/ui/home.jsf. Primefaces drives JQueryUI making it easy to create a JQuery based website without the hassle of writing a ton of Javascript.

George Jiang replied on Thu, 2011/01/13 - 9:20pm in response to: Jonathan Fisher

JSF 1.x with Seam was already annotation based. Primefaces might be a cleaner component library on top of JSF 2 (haven't tried that yet). But all the new things in JSF 2 itself except facelet come from Richfaces/Seam (more precisely, from the ajax4jsf part of Richfaces, not the component library), even though with a different syntax.

Sivaprasadreddy... replied on Wed, 2011/01/12 - 11:39pm in response to: George Jiang

@George,

I just had a look at PrimeFaces couple of days back and it seems good to me. It is far better than RichFaces in terms of ease of use and rich component library.

Sivaprasadreddy... replied on Wed, 2011/01/12 - 11:45pm

@George, @Jonathan,

In JSF2, I didn't see much improvement apart from Annotation support. Am I missing anything??

George Jiang replied on Thu, 2011/01/13 - 12:38am in response to: Sivaprasadreddy Katamreddy

I would suggest you to scan through Core JavaServer Faces 3rd Edition. All new JSF 2 features are marked as JSF 2.0 in the book, very easy to pick up.

Was your complaint about JSF1.1 based on your experience with Richfaces, or some other JSF implementation/component libarary?

Sivaprasadreddy... replied on Thu, 2011/01/13 - 1:38am in response to: George Jiang

I am working on enhancements of an app which is written in JSF1.1 without any component library.

Due to various constraints we can't migrate to JSF2. I tried to use RichFaces on top of this JSF1.1 app and i published my experience(frustration) about JSF1.1 in this post :-(

George Jiang replied on Thu, 2011/01/13 - 9:30pm in response to: Jonathan Fisher

Why do you need to hand-write Javascript or use jQueryUI with a JSF component libarary such as Richfaces or Primefaces?

I would imagine you would rather not  use JSF at all if you prefer a Javascript solution (hand writing, jQuery, EXT JS etc). A MVC framework such as Spring MVC fits that scenario better than JSF.

Henk De Boer replied on Sat, 2012/01/21 - 7:05am in response to: Sivaprasadreddy Katamreddy

I'm not sure how you could miss the massive improvements that were in JSF 2.0. I'm only mentioning Facelets, composite components, first class GET support (view parameters), eventing, ... and them I'm only scratching the surface.

Frankly, I really don't want to insult anyone, but if you didn't see any of that you should maybe not be in development, or at the very least not writing about a technology that you very obviously don't know anything about.

Sivaprasadreddy... replied on Thu, 2012/01/26 - 2:10am

Hi Henk De Boer,
I recently once again spent sometime to understand JSF2 and it is far better than JSF1.x version. As you said at the time of writing this post I was not able to understand JSF2's latest n greatest features in the first try.

But before I am a software developer I am a human being and I do have emotions.
I guess you can understand how much I was frustrated with JSF1.x and wrote this post.
With that much of bad experience I was not able to look at JSF2 in a positive manner.

But, because I didn't fully understand JSF2, I should not be in development and choose another career?? And only the people who fully understand a particular technology should talk about Technology?

In that case I guess James Gosling, Joshua Bloach, Rod Johnson, Craig Mc Clanhan, Gavin King and You only have to blog about java technologies. :-)

Anyway, recently i started playing with JSF2 and I am liking it so far..especially PrimeFaces library is awesome.

-Siva

Nagesh Rao replied on Thu, 2013/11/21 - 3:39pm in response to: Jonathan Fisher

Hi Jonathan,

I have a full time job opportunity at New Jersey for the Lead position with one of the global IT company. If you are looking for exciting opportunity then please share your resume to nagesh.k@avanceservices.com.

Regards,