Cloud Zone is brought to you in partnership with:

Kaushik Raghupathi is a senior IT Professional and Project Manager working out of India. Over the years he has worked on numerous IT projects with large sized teams. He is personally very fascinated around Learning methodologies in general and specifically around Community Based Learning with a specific focus on Technology Trends. He is currently experimenting the concepts by working with students in this area. Kaushik has posted 2 posts at DZone. View Full User Profile

5 Key Events in the history of Cloud Computing

02.26.2011
While we have been evaluating in our blog posts the various features available on popular Cloud Computing platforms today, I thought it might be a good idea to understand when and how all this started and look back at where this began and trace some of the key events in the progress of cloud computing. Amazon like all other Internet companies in the period of the dot com bubble were left with large amounts of underutilized computing infrastructure, reports suggest less than 10% of the server infrastructure of many companies were being used. Amazon may have use cloud computing as a way to provide this unused resources as utility computing service when they launched S3 as the first true cloud computing service in March 2006.

1. Launch of Amazon Web Services in July 2002
The initial version of AWS in 2002 was focused more on making information available from Amazon to partners through a web services model with programmatic and developer support and was very focused on Amazon as a retailer. While this set the stage for the next steps the launch of S3 was the true step towards building a cloud platform.
Amazon Press Release

2. S3 Launches in March 2006
Here are some interesting articles on the launch of S3 in 2006. The real breakthrough however was the pricing model for S3 which defined the model of 'pay-per-use' which has now become the defacto standard for cloud pricing. Also the launch of S3 really defined the shift of Amazon from being just a retailer to a strong player in the technology space.
Techcrunch Post on S3 on March 14th, 2006
Read Write Web Post on S3 and EC2 on Nov 3rd, 2006
Business Week Article on Jeff Bezos vision on cloud computing on Nov 13th, 2006

3. EC2 Launches in August 2006
EC2 had a much quieter launch in August 2006 but i would think had the bigger impact by making core computing infrastructure available. This completed the loop on enabling a more complete cloud infrastructure being available. In fact at that time analysts had some difficulty in understanding what the big deal is, and thought it looks similar to other hosting services available online only with a different pricing model.
Some interesting articles from that time on the launch:
Technologyevangelist Blog
Virtualization Info

4. Launch of Google App Engine in April 2008
The launch of Google App Engine in 2008 was the entry of the first pure play technology company into the Cloud Computing market. Google a dominant Internet company entering into this market was clearly a major step towards wide spread adoption of cloud computing. As with all their other products they introduced radical pricing models with a free entry level plan and extremely low cost computing and storage services which are currently among the lowest in the market.
Techcrunch post on App Engine Launch
Google App Engine Launch Post

5. Windows Azure launches Beta in Nov 2009
The entry of Microsoft into Cloud Computing is a clear indication of the growth of the space. Microsoft for long has not accepted the Internet and the web as a significant market and has continued to focus on the desktop market for all these years. I think this is a realization that a clear shift is taking place. The launch of Azure is a key event in the history of cloud computing with the largest software company making a small but significant shift to the web.
Launch of Azure Beta
Azure General Availability - Feb 2010
You might also like:
References
Published at DZone with permission of its author, Kaushik Raghupathi. (source)

Comments

Brad Buck replied on Fri, 2010/07/30 - 11:33am

I'd throw in the launch of force.com as a top event in cloud computing history. Salesforce was the first vendor to make an impact on the PaaS market. Force.com also proves a new model of application development which creates an ecosystem of apps in a domain. Some other vendors are also taking this approach too. Really its tough to pick the top events. The cloud computing market has exploded, http://cloudtaxonomy.com

John Smith replied on Thu, 2013/02/21 - 9:31am

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post!    manually backlinks service

Ron Sim replied on Mon, 2013/02/25 - 9:49am

I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.

Pravid Prabhu replied on Tue, 2013/02/26 - 2:03am in response to: Brad Buck

Thanks for the tips, maybe I can use this svelte my noesis marketing and Ive been site use whatsoever ethnical media in try a interaction and they eff handi work.

Pravid Prabhu replied on Tue, 2013/02/26 - 7:38am in response to: Brad Buck

Common Attributes of Cloud ComputingPooled computing – advanced virtualizationDelivered over the InternetElastic scalingFlexible pricing – pay only for they useProvide resources as a service.

san antonio internet marketing

Ron Sim replied on Wed, 2013/02/27 - 3:39am in response to: Brad Buck

Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.

craft supplies

Ron Sim replied on Wed, 2013/02/27 - 5:32am in response to: Brad Buck

I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information.

dental implants uk

Zahid Iqbal replied on Mon, 2013/03/11 - 7:16am

Glasgow airport cab Very important conception! I totally surprised to hear America pay for europe's missile defense. Thanks for a bit impressive nice inspiration .

Martin Rush replied on Sat, 2013/03/16 - 1:22pm in response to: Brad Buck

Concerned about the relative costs of cloud computing? Released earlier this year is a joint report from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC) concerning the costs of cloud for research. Specifically focused on cloud server infrastructure, the 64-page report is an essential read for anyone considering using hosted processing resources rather than in-house systems, not just research organisations.

Cloud expert Cambridge

Martin Rush replied on Sat, 2013/03/16 - 1:09pm

well said. cloud computing history is very interesting.  i am also a Cloud Expert Cambridge  .

Anyway thanks for sharing this meaningful post.

Sohail Akik replied on Mon, 2013/03/18 - 4:15am

Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank Youget more views on youtube

Norman Matthew replied on Sat, 2013/03/23 - 2:00am

This is an excellent web post, it is great and wonderful content, I like the way of your writing.

write my coursework for freereasonable price courseworkgcse coursework writing uka level coursework online

William Blesch replied on Thu, 2013/03/28 - 8:12am

I've actually never heard of force.com. (Not that this signifies anything really.) However, I liked the concept of an "ecosystem of apps." I recently read about a young guy that developed just such an ecosystem of apps and went on to sell them for more than 7 figures. Being able to generate a passive income and tap into the global market is something most people only dream about. Systems taught by people like Raam Anand using his AgencyRiches  program can also lead to those 7 figure type of incomes.

Ausen Gaven replied on Tue, 2013/04/16 - 2:35am

I used to be more than happy to seek out this internet-site.I wanted to thanks in your time for this glorious read!! I positively enjoying each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.
Expert essay writerstop servicescase study serviceslab report onlinedo my assignmentpay for coursework

Mike Lurset replied on Fri, 2013/05/17 - 10:28am

The initial version of AWS in 2002 was focused more on making information available from Amazon to partners through a web services model with programmatic and developer support driversedguy.tumblr.com

Mike Lurset replied on Sat, 2013/05/18 - 5:52am

Here are some interesting articles on the launch of S3 in 2006. The real breakthrough however was the pricing model for S3 which defined the model of 'pay-per-use' things to do in Las Vegas

Mike Lurset replied on Fri, 2013/05/24 - 9:49am

In fact at that time analysts had some difficulty in understanding what the big deal is, and thought it looks similar to other hosting services available online only with a different pricing model. bioshock infinite free download

Mike Lurset replied on Fri, 2013/05/24 - 5:00pm

EC2 had a much quieter launch in August 2006 but i would think had the bigger impact by making core computing infrastructure available. my blog

Acton Falkner replied on Fri, 2013/05/31 - 4:01pm in response to: John Smith

Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is fine.

Acton Falkner replied on Fri, 2013/05/31 - 4:05pm in response to: Mike Lurset

gatwick airport car parking

Jim Denver replied on Thu, 2013/07/25 - 4:15am

U ever heart of this whole event? a cloud platform is needed. For example, 5 Coach bags

is a new idea for most of us.

Uchenna Ani-Okoye replied on Sun, 2013/08/11 - 2:40pm

These events have been both key and pivotal. It's been such a long time that I struggle to remember what it was like with Amazon, for example. - Uchenna

Shahbazali Shah... replied on Thu, 2013/11/21 - 1:48am

We are pleased to discover your own known strategy for publishing your article. Now a person help it become simple for myself to Patterson  recognize and put into action the idea. Thank you with the article.

King Tiger replied on Tue, 2014/03/11 - 8:35am

Thanks for writing this. I really feel as though I know so much more about this than I did before. Your blog really brought some things to light that I never would have thought about before reading it.  more about stockpair

Andrew Alpert replied on Fri, 2014/03/28 - 5:45am in response to: Ausen Gaven

You are right, I agree with you that you can get custom coursework writing service by Coursework Labs  because they are really coursework writing experts to handle or do your coursework  and to do your assignments . I hope you are doing well if not visit CourseworkLabs.co.uk