I have been in the software development industry since 2010, working on enterprise product development using ADF. I am usually keen on learning about software design and emerging technologies. You can find me hanging around in the JavaRanch Forums where I am one of the moderators. Apart from Java, I am fascinated by the ease of use and simplicity of Ruby and Rails. Mohamed is a DZone MVB and is not an employee of DZone and has posted 56 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

Top Ten Errors Java Programmers Make

06.16.2008

I read an article (linked below) on “Top Ten Errors Java Programmers Make“. The author has mentioned the errors which even the most experienced programmers often commit or the New to Java programmers may commit in the future. Not only has he listed the errors but also given the possible solution for the same. I found the article really informative.

One can read the article here.

I would like to add some more:

• A .java source file can contain more than one class but it can contain atmost one Top level class (or interface) definition that is public and the name of the source file must be same as that of the public class (or interface).
  • Static methods cannot be overridden but can be hidden if they are not final (Read about Overriding vs Hiding here).
  • The objects created in the String pool are not subjected to GC until the class is unloaded by the JVM.
  • Only methods or code blocks can be marked “synchronized”.
  • Local classes cannot access non-final variables.
  • -0.0 == 0.0 is true.
  • Collection (singular) is an Interface, but Collections (plural) is a helper class.
  • continue must be in a loop (e.g., for, do, while). It cannot appear in case constructs.
  • Instance initializers are executed only if an object is constructed.
Do you have some key points in Java to share? Add it as comments to the post :)
Published at DZone with permission of Mohamed Sanaulla, author and DZone MVB.

Comments

Thomas Mueller replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 8:54am

Use break in case statements.
String.trim() etc. returns the result.
Synchronize carefully to avoid Java level deadlock.
InputStream.read() etc. doesn't always read fully.
Double.NaN != Double.NaN.

David Voo replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 9:45am

Very nice post

David Qiao replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 10:57am

My favorite one is many people think "abc"=="abc" is true. I even saw it in JDK source code.

Stefan Schulz replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 12:45pm

There is one top error beginners in Java make that also found its way into the referenced article: Java is always pass by value and never pass by reference.

Masoud Kalali replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 12:51pm

I would like to add one more string related item:

a.equalIgnoreCase("constant");

when a can be null.

Slava Imeshev replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 1:02pm

Some of the mentioned "errors" are not programming errors at all because the code could would not compile. Some  other are stylisitc isssues rather than errors etc. DZ: garbage.

Raveman Ravemanus replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 1:04pm

omg, tell me you dont make those mistakes!! i think many of your friends would make a lot of less mistakes if they use ide, but maybe you work at sun and you care about compilation errors.

both lists are very wierd, but maybe you are not programmers or just learning, then maybe its not that bad.

Art Bgrsk replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 1:20pm

Should mention that the best-way to avoid the "overrides" problem is with the @Override annotation. If the method doesn't actually override a real method it is a compile time error! Unfortunately that does not work for Interfaces :( (maybe we need a @Implements ?).

Although the *BIGGEST* mistake I see in Java is people who don't get OOP and treat objects as structs and just have getters/setters on their objects and all the manipulation in static methods.

@David Qiao

BTW, "abc"=="abc" IS CORRECT because modern (1.4+ IIRC) compilers will only create one object per string literal per class.  Though other forms such as ("ab" + "c") == "abc" may not be... but I'm not sure if javac is smart enough yet.

Dustin Woods replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 1:34pm in response to: Stefan Schulz

"Java is always pass by value and never pass by reference."

I think comments like this just fuel the confusion. There isn't just two options across all languages, value vs. reference, there needs to be more explanation related to Java. Java is pass by value for primitives. Java is pass by reference value for Objects.

Dmitriy Setrakyan replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 4:17pm in response to: Thomas Mueller

Thomas,

I think your list is much better than the original post which has many items that won't even compile (hence impossible to get burned by them). I myself remember long hours of debugging until I figured out that "Double.NaN != Double.NaN" ;-)

Best,
Dmitriy Setrakyan
GridGain - Grid Computing Made Simple

Stefan Schulz replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 5:31pm in response to: Dustin Woods

"Java is pass by reference value for Objects."

This sounds funny, but I guess means the right thing: Java always is pass by value.

The meaning of this: for primitive types, a copy of the primitive value gets passed. And for objects, a copy of the reference to the object gets passed.

Pass by reference means to pass a reference/handle on the variable referencing an object, which allows to change the variable itself (i.e., where it "points" to).

Hermann Rodrigues replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 5:35pm in response to: Art Bgrsk

"abc" == "abc" is TRUE because the Java Language Specification says that the expression must call String.intern() to construct both String objects and that the objects returned by intern() must be the same. And this is defined that way this since Java 1.0, I think. Just my 2 cents. ;) Best,

David Qiao replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 5:45pm

Really? I tried in intellij to inspect "abc"=="abc" and ite tells me false. I double confirmed that before posting.

Hermann Rodrigues replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 6:08pm

Strange. The Java Language Specification says the following about "abc" == "abc":

--------------------------------------------------------------

From http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/lexical.html#3.10.5

Each string literal is a reference (§4.3) to an instance (§4.3.1, §12.5) of class String (§4.3.3). String objects have a constant value. String literals-or, more generally, strings that are the values of constant expressions (§15.28)-are "interned" so as to share unique instances, using the method String.intern.

Thus, the test program consisting of the compilation unit (§7.3):

package testPackage;
    class Test {
            public static void main(String[] args) {
                    String hello = "Hello", lo = "lo";
                    System.out.print((hello == "Hello") + " ");   /// <----- This is the offending test case.
                    System.out.print((Other.hello == hello) + " ");
                    System.out.print((other.Other.hello == hello) + " ");
                    System.out.print((hello == ("Hel"+"lo")) + " ");
                    System.out.print((hello == ("Hel"+lo)) + " ");
                    System.out.println(hello == ("Hel"+lo).intern());
            }
    }
    class Other { static String hello = "Hello"; }

and the compilation unit:

package other;
    public class Other { static String hello = "Hello"; }

produces the output:

true true true true false true

--------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, the first test case evaluates to true, as expected.

Best,

Dustin Woods replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 6:17pm in response to: Stefan Schulz

"The problem I have with an article titled "Top mistakes" is that it should not introduce wrong terminology."

Agreed. Below is just one example of why this gets misunderstood so often.

Application Classloading and Pass by Value or Reference

Dino VV replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 6:32pm in response to: Dustin Woods

[quote=dustinywoods]

Agreed. Below is just one example of why this gets misunderstood so often.

Application Classloading and Pass by Value or Reference

[/quote]

Maybe he should add this to the "Top Mistakes" list.

David Qiao replied on Mon, 2008/06/16 - 6:33pm

Interesting. I guess it is probably a bug in IntelliJ expression evaluation tool. See below. It prints out true but the expression evaluation says false. It must use an older compiler when evaluating.

Walter Laan replied on Tue, 2008/06/17 - 3:40am in response to: David Qiao

Eclipse's watch/inspect while debugging gives false as well. I guess they both don't intern String when evaluating. "Hello".intern() == "Hello".intern() returns true.

Stefan Schulz replied on Tue, 2008/06/17 - 5:59am

Another typical error: implementing hashcodes based on mutable data. Always makes one surprise, why keys in hash-based containers cannot be found.

john green green replied on Mon, 2009/10/26 - 3:27am

There is one top error beginners in Java make that also found its way nike shoes russia into the referenced article: Java is always pass by value and never pass by reference.