The Ship Show: Deciphering the “Docker Lifestyle”
Deciphering the “Docker Lifestyle”
Creating that initial environment for your application to run in is a solved problem. Or is it? On the market today, there are a seemingly ever-increasing number of tools to facilitate that process: CFEngine, Puppet, Chef, Vagrant, Packer, Ansible, Salt Stack, Rundeck… the list goes on. In episode 39, the panel takes a closer look at one of these new tools: Docker. The panel is joined once again by Atlassian’s James Dumay, since the discussion was prompted by a question he tweeted: “[S]omeone thinks Docker can replace Chef/Puppet. I believe they are at least complementary.” Are they? And what workflows make sense for Docker? Join the panel as we try:Deciphering the “Docker Lifestyle”
Join J. Paul Reed, aka @SoberBuildEng, Youssuf El-Kalay, aka @buildscientist, Seth Thomas, aka @cheeseplus, and EJ Ciramella, aka @eciramella for the discussion, plus a the last couple of weeks in News & Views and a review!
- 0:53 – News & Views
- Google Cloud reduces prices on their offerings
- Microsoft makes the MS-DOS 1.1 and 2.0 and Word 1.1a source code; it’s, perhaps unsurprisingly, a lot of assembly
- The Computer History Museum is a must-see for software engineers
- Highest tech salaries, adjusted for cost-of-living? Austin!
- For members of under-represented groups in tech: email us why you’d like to go to ChefConf 2014 to email@example.com by Sunday, April 5th, 11:59 pm PDT!
- ALL Ship Show listeners can get a 15% discount code by using the discount code “SHIPSHOW” when registering
- 11:44 – Main Segment: Deciphering the “Docker Lifestyle”
- 55:29 – Tool Tip
- USENIX is holding a release engineering-specific conference
- devopsconferences.com has the latest
The team reviews Explain Git with D3.
Is Docker conceptually inconsistent with Puppet/Chef/CFEngine?
How would Docker fit into your organization’s workflow?
Join the discussion!
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)