Neo4j and GWT Based Social News Feed Demo on Wikipedia Graph Running
The code will be available soon! But it was hacked together pretty nasty and definatly needs some cleanup! Also I think that I still have one lack in memory while maintinging the index for my news feed. Hopefully I will be able to do this while writing my paper and do more on the evaluation. Already thanks a lot to Jonas Kunze and Dr. Thomas Gottron as well as Peter from neo technologies for the great support during this project!
The Graph that I used is extracted from the complete revision dump of the bavarian wikipedia and has the following properties:
- 8’760 entities
- ~95’000 Content items
- ==> together more than 100’000 nodes
- almost 20’000 different relationship types (more to come in bigger graphs!)
- about 100’000 edges connecting the 8’760 entities
- mainting the index was possible with (only :[ ) 177 writes / second on a slow notebook computer
I interpret the wikipedia graph in the following way as a social network:
- every article corresponds to an entity
- every link corresponds to a directed friendship (follower)
- every revision corresponds eather to a status update (content item) or a change in the friendship graph
I have no idea yet how many reads I can do per second. Even though I am a little disappointed about the low speed for writing on the graph I am sure that I will achieve my theoretical goals for reads per second. I also hope to increase writing spead if I introduce better transaction management. Anyway I will blog about the results of the reads / second later.
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)