Mitch Pronschinske is a Senior Content Analyst at DZone. That means he writes and searches for the finest developer content in the land so that you don't have to. He often eats peanut butter and bananas, likes to make his own ringtones, enjoys card and board games, and is married to an underwear model. Mitch is a DZone Zone Leader and has posted 2576 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

JavaOne 2010 Accepted Talks - Post Yours!

05.11.2010
| 20212 views |
JavaOne 2010 (alongside Oracle develop) is just four months away, and the anticipation is really boiling now.  The blogosphere and twittersphere are abuzz with joyful recipients of JavaOne 2010 acceptance letters from Oracle this morning.  Since Oracle doesn't have a full listing of the accepted talks on its JavaOne web page, I thought I'd compile a list myself and ask for your help to fill in any gaps (I'm sure there are many).  I did an extensive rundown of Twitter and a Google blogs search, which turned up a whole bunch of accepted talks.

The most noticeable difference in session subjects this year is the multitude of JVM language presentations, notes Alex Miller.  A larger number of Clojure, Scala, and Groovy presentations will be seen this year.  Hamlet D'Arcy was tickled by the special attention given to Groovy by Oracle.

Below you'll find my list (so far) of accepted talks (including a subject and an attached name/twitter username).  If any information is incomplete, inaccurate, or you just want to add more info, post a comment.  Also, post any accepted talks that I missed (with a subject and speaker at least) in the comments, even if it's someone else's talk.

Alex Miller - Talk on Clojure, and Scala

Hamlet D'Arcy - Code Generation on the JVM

Adam Bien - Several sessions accepted on Java EE and JavaFX

Geertjan Wielenga - Creating REST clients

Toni Epple - "Patterns for Modularity"

I’ve invited Zoran Sevarac and Jaroslav Tulach to join me and I’m really looking forward to this. We’ll discuss topics like how to identify module boundaries, API design, how different module system ( like NetBeans Platform and OSGi )deal with loosely coupled communication and even if and when we need a module system, and when it’s an overkill.  --Toni Epple

Joseph D. Darcy - "Project Coin: Small Language Changes for JDK 7":  Expects to focus on experiences implementing and using the new features.  "Patents, Copyrights, and TMs: An Intellectual Property Primer for Engineers": Shares information learned from taking a few classes on intellectual property and filing (and eventually getting issued) several patents.

Ben Alex - Three acceptances on Spring Roo, GWT, and more

Alexis MP - Comparison of WebSockets and Comet

Jan Haderka - "Swinglabs Dev Update" and "Building Content Management solutions based on Java Content Repository"

Dan Allen - Two talks about Arquillian, ShrinkWrap, CDI, and Seam 3

Luc Boudreau - "olap4j - OLAP API for Java Developers"

Jonas Boner - Talk on Akka

Andrew Lee Rubinger - "Throwing Complexity Over the Wall - Rapid Development for Enterprise Java"

Jan-Kees van Andel - "The JavaServer Faces (JSF) 2.0 and HTML5 Version of Parleys.com"

Binod PG - Building Rich Communication Services for Java EE [Will cover simplified programming model sailfin cafe]

jclouds - On jclouds and cloud storage

Andre Moreira - "Put Your Server and Client to REST with JAX-RS"

Max Katz - Enterprise JavaFX Applications with CDI (JSR-299)

Dierk Konig - Presentation model pattern

Neal Ford - "Unit Testing that Sucks Less" and "Comparing Groovy & JRuby"

pkriens
- Module keyword (JSR 294) talk and an OSGi BOF

Fabian Ritzmann - BOF: "Metro Web Services Configuration Management for the Enterprise"

Guillaume Laforge - Talk on Groovy; also back for the script bowl

David Pollak - Presentation on the Lift framework

Atmosphere Framework
- "Building Powerful WebSocket, Comet, and RESTful Applications Using Atmosphere"

JNBridge - On Cross-platform transactions between enterprise Java and .NET

The Sessions at JavaOne 2010 will be divided into these categories:

• Core Java Platform
  • Desktop Java
  • Java EE and Java for Enterprise Applications
  • JavaFX and Rich User Experience
  • Java ME and Mobile
  • Java for Devices, Card, and TV
  • The Java Frontier

I also encourage anyone to elaborate on their sessions even if I've already listed it here.  It would be nice to hear a little more about them than just a subject line.  Let's get a good list started in Javalobby!

In other news, Devoxx 2010 just announced their Call For Papers.  Wonder if there'll be a shocking announcement at this one too.  :)

Comments

Sangjin Lee replied on Tue, 2010/05/11 - 2:35pm

I got a couple of sessions accepted: one on concurrency, and another on OSGi...

Dirk Lemmermann replied on Tue, 2010/05/11 - 2:41pm

I will be talking about "Attractive and Portable Mac OS X Swing Clients for J2EE Applications"

Mitch Pronschinske replied on Tue, 2010/05/11 - 2:45pm

A lot of OSGi sessions too it seems.  Good news!

Nikita Ivanov replied on Tue, 2010/05/11 - 3:37pm

I'll be talking about "Functional Programming in Java: GridGain Experience".

Jean-Francois Arcand replied on Tue, 2010/05/11 - 4:36pm

Jeanfrancois Arcand (2 sessions)

Async Http Client:  Writing powerful HTTP applications using the new Async HTTP Client Library.

Atmosphere: Building Powerful WebSocket, Comet, and RESTful Applications Using Atmosphere

Mario Fusco replied on Tue, 2010/05/11 - 4:53pm

Mario Fusco
I got a talk about my library lambdaj

Burk Hufnagel replied on Tue, 2010/05/11 - 9:15pm

I got a BOF -- S314641 User Experience: The Invisible Art Everyone Sees

Stephen Colebourne replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 5:07am

2 talks - JSR-310 and The next big JVM language

Fabrizio Giudici replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 5:26am

Session ID: S314363
Session Title: Efficient development of large NetBeans Platform applications with Maven

Kirk Pepperdine replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 5:40am

I some how got a BOF - Performance tuning with cheap drink and poor tools. I co-present with Kevlin Henney Session, 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know. And, I co-present a session on Concurrency with Victor Kratz. He wrote an interesting application that offers a visualized animated view of how the concurrency library works. I'm going to add non-blocking (almost) FIFO to it.

Jason Van Zyl replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 9:26am

Session ID: S314388 Session Title: Maven 3.x: The evolution of enterprise Java build infrastructures

Dick Wall replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 10:23am

S313867 - Meet the Java Posse BoF S313520 - Funky Java, Objective Scala S313963 - Script Bowl 2010: A Scripting Languages Shootout

Reza Rahman replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 12:16pm

Mitchell,

Sorry about the delayed response as well as the slightly abbreviated, impersonal message (I am supposed to be on vacation, but we all know how that goes :-)). I have four total this year. Here is some more info on them: http://blog.rahmannet.net/. As you are aiming for, there is a little more than just the subject line. I also welcome any comments from readers/potential attendees either here or on my blog to help improve what I am talking about.

Cheers,
Reza
-------------------------------------------------
Resin EJB 3.1 Lite Container Developer
Expert Group Member, Java EE 6 and EJB 3.1
Author, EJB 3 in Action

Mauro Perego replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 12:27pm

Session ID: S314646
Session Title: Java Hold'em - Implementing an online poker platform using J2EE/J2SE

Fabrizio Giudici replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 12:58pm in response to: Mauro Perego

The photo is very small... but I suppose you're the Mauro Perego I know, right?

Mauro Perego replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 1:00pm in response to: Fabrizio Giudici

You got it!
I'm that Mauro Perego :)

John Ferguson Smart replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 2:31pm

Session ID: S312977 Session Title: Getting More from Your CI Server: Taking Hudson to the Next Level

Rich Unger replied on Wed, 2010/05/12 - 5:38pm

Session ID: S313005

Session Title: Domain Specific Language Versus Library API Shootout

Jaroslav Tulach and I will be contrasting DSLs and java APIs as techniques for exposing one's technology to the wider development community.

Steven Reynolds replied on Thu, 2010/05/13 - 8:18pm

I have S314144A Brief Introduction to Scala -- Steven Reynolds

Chris Ainsley replied on Sun, 2010/05/16 - 2:01am in response to: Rich Unger

I'm interested in this subject but unfortunately can't attend this year. Will you be making slides available afterwards?

Guilherme Silveira replied on Mon, 2010/05/17 - 10:34am

Just a small correction. The JAX-RS client talk will be given by me instead of Andre Moreira (Andre's tweet was RT mine). Great post! Regards

Victor Grazi replied on Tue, 2010/05/18 - 9:06am in response to: Kirk Pepperdine

Who's Victor Kratz? Is that a merge of my name - Victor Grazi and our old friend Jason Kratz?

Victor Grazi replied on Tue, 2010/05/18 - 8:54am

I was invited to present Java Concurrent Animated. Kirk Pepperdine will be co-presenting You can see more on SourceForge - JavaConcurrentAnimated We will be adding Kirk's non-blocking (almost) fifo queue to the animations, and we will be updating some of the animations to make them even more intuitive!

Victor Grazi replied on Tue, 2010/05/18 - 9:05am in response to: Victor Grazi

Note - I cannot edit this posting - Spam filters think I am spamming

Stephen Chin replied on Tue, 2010/05/18 - 4:13pm

I will be doing a talk with Jim Weaver on Developing Enterprise Applications:

Session ID: S312925
Session Title: Pro JavaFX: Developing Enterprise Applications

And another with Jonathan Giles on JavaFX 1.3 Controls:

Session ID: S312918
Session Title: Take Control of JavaFX

Bradley D. Thornton replied on Thu, 2010/05/20 - 1:55am

a little belated, but I still found it. Thanks! a great resource with the links you provided.

Kindest regards,

Bradley

Kito Mann replied on Thu, 2010/05/20 - 3:24am

I'm looking forward to the show this year. Should be very interesting.

I'll be presenting one session:

Session ID: S314512
Session Title: JavaServer Faces Antipatterns and Best Practices

---
Kito D. Mann | twitter: kito99 | Author, JSF in Action
Virtua, Inc. | http://www.virtua.com | JSF/Java EE training and consulting
http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info | twitter: jsfcentral

Sign up for the JSFCentral newsletter: http://oi.vresp.com/?fid=ac048d0e17

Spock Dr. replied on Fri, 2010/05/21 - 9:34am

I'll be talking about "Performance Tips & Tricks on Java EE, JPA and JSF"

Session ID: S314811
Session Title: Performance Tips & Tricks on Java EE, JPA and JavaServer Faces

Alex Miller replied on Fri, 2010/05/21 - 1:24pm

For "Alex Miller" at the very beginning, you actually listed a retweet I did as my talk. To be clear:

• Alex Miller, Jonas Boner -> "Scala and Clojure Java VM Languages", which is a comparison of how to accomplish important big-boned Java-like things (abstraction, concurrency, polymorphism, etc etc in Scala and Clojure).

The retweeted one was:

• Jesse Wilson, Kevin Bourrillion -> talk on microbenchmarking and their new tool Caliper ( http://bit.ly/bZVFHv )

Alex Miller replied on Fri, 2010/05/21 - 1:39pm

It's an opportune moment to mention that the Call for Presentations for Strange Loop 2010 is still open, so if you submitted a talk at JavaOne, perhaps it might be a good fit at Strange Loop.

The Strange Loop conference is a technology-agnostic, future-seeking conference about alternative languages, alternative database technologies, concurrency, distributed systems, web, and mobile technologies. Strange Loop is in St. Louis, MO, Oct 14-15th, 2010. Early bird registration for Strange Loop is just $150 (compare to JavaOne early bird price of $1595).

Keynote speakers for Strange Loop will include Guy Steele (Oracle), Douglas Crockford (Yahoo!), Hilary Mason (bit.ly), and Billy Newport (IBM). You can find a list of other already confirmed Strange Loop speakers.

Register or submit a talk today!