Java 8 is Now Released!
- Lambda expressions: a new language feature that enables you to treat functionality as a method argument, or code as data.
- Other significant enhancements and changes to the Java language and standard libraries including default methods, the new java.util.stream package, and the Date-Time API.
- Compact Profiles contain predefined subsets of the Java SE platform and enable applications that do not require the entire Platform to be deployed and run on small devices.
- Security enhancements include updates to the Java Cryptography Architecture; limited doPrivileged, a mechanism that enables code to assert a subset of its privileges; SSL/TLS Server Name Indication (SNI) Extension; and keystore enhancements.
- JavaFX documentation has been updated for this release.
- Java Mission Control 5.3 is included in JDK 8.
- Decommission of the JVM Permanent Generation space and replaced by theMetaspace.
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)