I've been a zone leader with DZone since 2008, and I'm crazy about community. Every day I get to work with the best that JavaScript, HTML5, Android and iOS has to offer, creating apps that truly make at difference, as principal front-end architect at Avego. James is a DZone Zone Leader and has posted 639 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

James Gosling Leaves Sun: End of A Golden Era?

04.10.2010

I was sad to hear that James Gosling will be leaving Sun/Oracle. James has been a hero for me, and many others, in the both the Java community and the software world in general. In his blog post, entitled Time To Move On, he states that he resigned from Oracle on April 2nd. Of course, what interests most people is why he left:

From James' new blog:
As to why I left, it's difficult to answer: just about anything I could say that would be accurate and honest would do more harm than good. The hardest part is no longer being with all the great people I've had the privilege to work with over the years. I don't know what I'm going to do next, other than take some time off before I start job hunting.

I'm not here to speculate, but I'm sure the Oracle takeover made up his mind to move on. He'll be missed, but I've no doubt that he will continue to have an impact somewhere else in the Java world. There will be no shortage of companys looking for Java's leading man to boost their profile, and continue innovating.

All I'd like to say is thanks to James for bringing Java to where it is today. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does next. What do you think of the news?

Comments

Rick Ross replied on Sat, 2010/04/10 - 9:25am

I almost feel like Oracle had to see this coming, but James appeared to be trying hard to be a team player and move with Java to its new home. I can only imagine how difficult the entire deal has been for James and the Sun teams that faced the transition.

Slim Ouertani replied on Sat, 2010/04/10 - 9:55am

Very bad news :(

Eric Wendelin replied on Sat, 2010/04/10 - 10:00am

Honestly I'm surprised he stayed this long. Oracle is certainly not a fit culture-wise. I wonder how much community support Oracle just lost... or if they even care.

John J. Franey replied on Sat, 2010/04/10 - 10:08am

Gosling is not dead, is he?

This is merely the end of a contract which apparently was not fruitful for both parties any longer. Why cry over the end of a contract?

Considering that Java is now available under an open-source license, its seems easier to accept that its iconic founder is no longer contracted to the corporate manager of its future. After this event, the relevant question is as it has been since the close of the Sun purchase: How will Oracle's plans for Java play out? My hunch is that Gosling is not entirely without influence on those plans.

Alireza Haghigh... replied on Sat, 2010/04/10 - 10:26am

Sad to hear :(

José Luis Jaimes replied on Sat, 2010/04/10 - 11:04am

No more Toy Show at J1?

Garvin LeClaire replied on Sat, 2010/04/10 - 11:58am

Who will carry on the T-Shirt launching competition at JavaOne.

smallufo Huang replied on Sat, 2010/04/10 - 12:30pm

I just hope he won't shave off his beard. http://bit.ly/931cfh

Jacek Furmankiewicz replied on Sat, 2010/04/10 - 1:58pm

I just hope this doesn't mean that in order to download Java I'll need an Oracle support contract in 6 months.

I sure hope the old Sun guard still has something to say in the future of Java.

Good luck James in your new job and thanks for all the good work for us.

Anil Saldhana replied on Wed, 2010/04/21 - 10:07am

At Jazoon 2009, James had keynoted and he had talked about retrofitting rocket Neil Young's old car with Java. A relevant news article is here:

I hope James considers probably joining an electric car company and make the future bright. :) He should probably promote (www.pluginamerica.org)

Good luck, James.

Rumorhttp://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/btj5u/oracle_odf_plugin_now_requires_a_fee_of_90_us_per/c0ohxs9   (<= Is this why he is leaving?)

Anil

Hemant Budhewar replied on Sun, 2010/04/11 - 3:49am

Bad news:(

But it is true, he will continue to have an impact somewhere else in the Java world.

Thanks James:) for all the excellent work for us.

Good luck James.

- Hemant

Jim Bethancourt replied on Sun, 2010/04/11 - 10:21am

Others who have left Sun prior to the acquisition continue to remain involved in the evolution and championing of Java, and it is certainly conceivable that James may remain involved.

Cheers,
Jim

Muneeswaran Bal... replied on Sun, 2010/04/11 - 9:33pm

I am so sad about his resignment.But it is the time for him to do something extra.

Rajesh Dave replied on Tue, 2010/04/13 - 3:48am

Thanks James for excellent work.

I am very sure that he will continue to contribute in Java.

All the Best!!!

Albert Stone replied on Wed, 2012/07/04 - 6:59am

Although James has left Oracle and this is indeed very sad, his future involvement in Java is not out of the question -- there is the Open JDK and the JCP, and he could conceivably be involved in one or both to continue to guide its way forward. I don't think this is the last we'll see of him or his brilliant ideas, and his voice will no doubt continue to carry substantial weight when he speaks. Seo Dubai

Sam Noor replied on Fri, 2012/12/21 - 4:38am

I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. www.ileatherwear.com !! *Trendy leather* http://www.ileatherwear.com/offer/shearling-jacket-women.html !! *Shearling jacket women* http://www.ileatherwear.com/offer/red-motorcycle-jacket.html !! *Red motorcycle jacket* http://www.ileatherwear.com/offer/big-and-tall-motorcycle-jackets.html !! *Big and tall motorcycle jackets*

Jaffa Wify replied on Thu, 2013/06/06 - 5:15am

Software developer that creates computer programing applications for various computer languages. Developers can use the Eclipse programs to create their own applications with Java and other codes. If you’re installing more than one version of the Eclipse software on one computer or server you can’t just install the new program. Thank you.
new product press release

Sadia Sulaman replied on Wed, 2014/09/10 - 4:54am

I must say that a succesful family owned business in this day and age is a very refreshing sight ! As well as this is a very refreshing site.

Timber Merchants Bolton