Starting 2008, I am working with Oracle at San Francisco office. I am at Utilities division with my primary focus on frameworks and tools. Prior to Oracle, i worked with Pramati Technologies for almost 1.5 year. With the SOA and Mashups focus during 2007 and 2008, I was fortunate to know and work closely with industry’s best Mashup company (JackBe). I have spent nearly 6.5 years in Robert Bosch GmbH, Germany as an Automotive Industry Software Consultant. Suresh has posted 6 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

Google Chrome OS : The Next Wave

07.09.2009

I was happy to see the news that Google announced the Chrome based OS. Soon after a week of my recent blog on Google and the way it transformed every ones life, i was pretty excited to see this announcement. I am particularly happy that Google is entering into the Operating System market and i believe that they will do justification to what they claim.

For many the announcement has been generating mixed feelings. Many technology enthusiasts (and pro-googlers) feel that this is a great step ahead and some are skeptic about the success of this project.

Simplicity : Google has been leading in the simple, usable and intuitive UI. I hope it continues to do so with the Chrome OS. When i see a simple Google Search and Microsoft’s Bing, that the major difference i see (that Bing has a distraction and Google not).

Open Source : Apache and Eclipse have redefined the view of an open-source software. The common concept of “Collaborate on Platform and Compete on Products” is a great idea. Google Chrome’s source code becoming open source, will open up all the channels to improve, contribute and extend the OS.

Competition to Microsoft ? : I don’t think so.  Google has been redefining the way people think of Internet and World Wide Web. Microsoft is the PC Operating System and Corporate IT infrastructure giant. There are lot of articles and blogs about the Google and Microsoft comparison on the Chrome OS and that’s all absurd for me. Comparing Chrome OS and Windows is like comparing apples and apricots. Does it makes sense. ??? Google is the company (in my opinion) trying to make web as a platform and building all it’s applications on web. So, i would see the Chrome OS only as an alternative for the heavy weight Internet users.

Would it be the next Linux ? : (No offense to Linux lovers please) During 1998-2000 time frame i was very excited to know about Linux as an alternative to the existing operating systems. When one compares the time to install a Windows box and Linux box with the same capabilities for a home user, Linux lacked the ease of installation and application support. As a technologist, i took hours to install the Linux and at the end i would abandon it as i don’t find the applications that i want or incompatible drivers. I still remember that installing the CD drivers is a big deal and took hours to find a compatible one. I guess, the story changed a little after the arrival of Redhat, Fedora and Ubuntu distributions. It is still a nightmare for the advanced home users to install and configure a Linux distribution. I really really hope that Chrome OS designers would take care of this issue.

More space on Internet : If Google wants to make the web as the platform, then it may need to increase the email, docs and picture sharing space on the web. Why? It is for the natural reason that if you want to use the web for everything, i don’t want to be restricted by the space in my account. Compared to the 120 to 250 GB of hard disk now-a-days, we are only talking about few gigs of memory on line.

Security and Personalization : As such Google is having problem to fight against the privacy laws regarding the google mail and advertisements. Would it become more controversial with the Chrome OS. If web is the platform and i would use Chrome OS, would my documents be secure ? Would Chrome install/suggest applications/plugins depending on the email, documents or photo content. These are some of the questions that Google for sure has to think about.

ChromeWave : Yes, i think and imagine that the architecture of Chrome OS has the Wave built in. That would be such an awesome thing for the home users and corporates. I could talk, video conference, share documents and pictures with my parents and friends in India seamlessly from the Chrome OS with the Wave capabilities. Corporates can make sure of  the ChromeWave to video conferencing, decision making, pair-programming (?), real time collaboration and others. (Note: ChromeWave is my own creation to combine the Chrome and Wave’s capabilities)

So… It is too early to conclude anything about the success or failure of the Chrome OS. Perhaps once the source code is released and the Architecture is known,  only can one have valid comments. One thing for sure is that Google is gearing up to take on other areas of the computer and Internet industry. Its the time for everyone to be alert and more innovative in terms of the technology, usability and the perceived benefit they give to the corporate and home user.

Some Interesting Reading…

From http://sureshkrishna.wordpress.com
Published at DZone with permission of its author, Suresh Krishna.

Comments

James Jamesson replied on Thu, 2009/07/09 - 2:32am

You have gotto be kidding me. Chome based OS? It is just a Linux distribution with browser integrated desktop. Windowing system is again X Window System unlike popular belief of an original one. I am sick and tired of media hype when Google announces something. Noone with a sane mind would install a Linux distribution made by an advertisement company. No thanks. I didnt like Chrome on windows, I wont like it for sure on Linux.

Jose Maria Arranz replied on Thu, 2009/07/09 - 2:42am

Google Chrome OS seems the same idea of Palm Pre WebOS, a web based UI system on top of an OS kernel (Linux).

They are going to bring this idea on top of classic desktop operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac...) as a layer on top of the native Window System, that is, on top of Google Chrome. In this case there is nothing new, FireFox allows native (C++, JavaScript and Java with very much effort) extensions from day one (first Gecko release many years ago), Opera Widgets, a sort of web applications on top of Opera/Presto engine, have been here for a while, and the project Prism is doing something similar using Gecko. May be I missing something radically new about Chrome OS in this area.

Jeroen Wenting replied on Thu, 2009/07/09 - 2:43am

Just another way for Google to perform data mining and privacy intrusion of people on an ever grander scale.
It won't get anywhere near any of my systems.

Costantino Cerbo replied on Thu, 2009/07/09 - 3:13am

You say "It is still a nightmare for the advanced home users to install and configure a Linux distribution."... did you try to install the last Fedora or Ubuntu distro? I've recently installed Fedora 11 on my Thinkpad T500, it takes about an hour with miminal effort! The next Google OS will be also based on Linux!

James Jamesson replied on Thu, 2009/07/09 - 4:05am in response to: Jose Maria Arranz

Actually "Web Based UI" was invented by Microsoft which had been widely demonized. Now Advertisement company "do no evil (yeah right!)" Google comes with the same idea, all suddenly becomes great and dandy. Pathetic isnt it?

Vassil Dichev replied on Thu, 2009/07/09 - 6:17am

Would it be the next Linux ?

Ugh, do your homework, it is Linux

So, if I understand correctly, last time you tried "the Linux" was 1998-2000 and you "guess" the story changed after "Redhat, Fedora and Ubuntu distributions". With the same effect you could write an article how inadequate Windows 98 is (which is from around the same time). I'm not sure when was the last time you installed Windows, but its installation isn't piece of cake either. The point is, a home user isn't expected to do it at all!

Mauricio Lopez replied on Thu, 2009/07/09 - 8:02am

Do you want Crome OS equivilent today?

You can have the Firefox OS by following the following steps.

1. start up Firefox
  2. press F11
  3. PROFIT

Andy Jefferson replied on Thu, 2009/07/09 - 10:22am

> It is still a nightmare for the advanced home users to install and configure a Linux distribution

Based on what reference point? Following on from an earlier poster, Mandriva Linux is as easy if not easier than Windows to install and configure. That is without assuming "advanced home user" either. It's been this way for the last 4 years or more.

Khurram Shakir replied on Thu, 2009/07/09 - 10:58am

An operating system which APIs are based on Java script ??, No I dont wanna think about it :P,

This is same type of hype which we used on hear in 1996 - 2000 about Java based Operating system JavaOS, and Java based office, and Java which will rule and replace every thing in the world, even my microwave  :P,

I have strong doubts that this will ever be case, and if The applcation run on any browser, what services will Chrome specifically provide to developer ??

Daniele Gariboldi replied on Thu, 2009/07/09 - 11:36am

IMAGINE. Imagine a world with no service pack, but continuous upgrades, a PC with no software to install, just a link to click and here you are, your privacy granted by a smartcard and each file encrypted before going out there in the cloud, all your data continuosly under backup and versioning a la time machine, a local index of all your work, for a speedy desktop search, powered by a OpenCL GPU, a local cache of last seen docs, for offline use, an enforcement policy to limit surfing to certain sites (for your boss to use) .... That makes sense, if you are always online: your PC as a tool, not a toy. Do you install software in your car electronics ? Do you want to improve your medical equipment ? No, too much risk to break everything. Thats should be a PC to work: stable, your data protected. I hope Google Chrome OS leaves us old PC fan at least a virtual machine where we can experiment alfa-beta software, just to try and then enjoy fixing everything. It seems to me the old network pc (now netbook) idea. But we have seen nothing till now. PS: and on the bottom of your screen, scrolling advertisements all the time.

Dapeng Liu replied on Fri, 2009/07/10 - 4:47am

Ubuntu rocks ... i didn't see any reason not to use such an excellent system

Netbeans starts 2-3 times faster than vista (personal experience)

Haroon Idrees replied on Fri, 2009/07/10 - 9:34am

I agree with depeng its my personal experience too.All is game of game of marketing ,fame ,name and exposer.

Mike P(Okidoky) replied on Fri, 2009/07/10 - 3:34pm

Writing html/javascript web/2.0 code is absolutely awful, and the only reason people do it, is because it's the only current way of seamlessly deploying applications on to the client side.

Instead of pretending that that is what people chose to do and to accomodate new system to let you create more applications in that same crappy way is just awful. This will not help humanity at all.

What we need is a new better way of distributing applications and dynamic content. We've been stuck with html/javascript for too long and it's gone too far.

hans horwath replied on Sun, 2009/07/12 - 12:52pm

1. ulteo.com - you should really take a look at it!

2. regarding ubuntu: it is pure marketing - isn't it?

3. marketing:  we all use it, to let others know, what we offer to them. there are some (even here on dzone :-( ) that do really negative marketing in bashing others. although: all the others only use marketing too.

4. chrome os - why not?