Greg Wilkins is the Chief Technical Officer (CTO) and one of the founding CEO of Webtide. He was also a founder and CEO of Mort Bay Consulting. Greg has deep knowledge of all facets of software development. He has, 22 years experience as a software developer, team leader, architect, trainer, and technical mentor in industry sectors ranging from telecommunications, finance, realtime computing to internet applications. He is closely involved with the open source movement, being the creator of the Jetty web container, a co-founder of Apache Geronimo, and a committer or contributor to a number of other open source projects. Greg sits on the JCP Servlet Expert Group and is active in the Open Ajax Alliance. Greg received his B.S. Computer Science Degree with 1st Class Honors from Sydney University, Australia. Greg has posted 11 posts at DZone. View Full User Profile

Google AppEngine Uses Jetty

04.10.2009

Hot on the heels of Google Widget Toolkit(GWT) switching to Jetty, the little server that can has received some more Google luv'n!   Google's new App Engine Java service is powered by Jetty! With App Engine, you can build web applications using standard Java technologies and run them on Google's scalable infrastructure.

Initially it is a little difficult to see Jetty in use, but you can see the jetty classes in the SDK download and if your application throws an exception then investigation of the stack trace in the log reveals the Jetty servlet container is used.

Not only that, the stack trace and other documentation show that Google have really exploited the embeddablility and extensibility of Jetty at a number of levels:

• They are using their own RPC style connector to receive requests from their front end web servers.
  • They use the google account authentication as the only supported authentication mechanism.
  • The HTTP sessions are clustered via the database or memcache
  • There is an appengine-web.xml configuration file
  • Jetty is embedded in their SDK and eclipse development plugin.

Thus Google have plugged in many new and/or extended components in a way that validates our open, component based architecture.   When it comes to application servers we do not believe that one size fits all and strongly encourage such customization for purpose.

We are really pleased that the google App team picked Jetty for their hosting service and welcome them to the ever growing list of Jetty powered projects!

From http://blogs.webtide.com/gregw

Published at DZone with permission of its author, Greg Wilkins.

Comments

Madhu Siddalingaiah replied on Fri, 2009/04/10 - 9:32am

This is great news! I've used Jetty for years, it's my preferred development environment for Web apps. Just a few JARs and you're off and running with minimal config! Less is more.

Lior Yaffe replied on Mon, 2009/04/13 - 11:51am

Great job Greg. We are also embedding Jetty for many years now, and love its simplicity and scalability.

Mike P(Okidoky) replied on Tue, 2009/04/14 - 5:11pm

Ever since, well, can't remember, 2000-ish I guess, I use to balk at Tomcat, its error messages, and its code. I found Jetty way cleaner, nicer, more embeddable, more straightforward, better coded. I could never understand for the life of me the hype around Tomcat. I've embedded Jetty in a few home brewed Javascript servers a few times years ago, and it was an absolutely pleasure. Almost all my dealings with Tomcat have been frustrating.

Seeing JBoss pick Tomcat over Jetty (after supporting both) years ago I found just plain weird. Politically driven?

jiji530 (not verified) replied on Tue, 2009/06/30 - 12:13am

thanks for your post.perhaps you will like abercrombie ed hardy mortgage rates tiffanys ed hardy Is not it?

den larsuk replied on Mon, 2009/07/06 - 1:14pm

Hello! I do not see a condition of use of the information. Whether it is possible to copy the text written by you on the site if to put the link to this page?

my site Sökmotoroptimering

Patrik Larsson replied on Fri, 2011/11/04 - 3:42am

Hi! I have hade a lot of use of this. Give it a little time and you will get much back. I bookmark this page.

My homepage to se the latest Assistansersättning

Alex Heipman replied on Sun, 2012/06/24 - 3:47pm

Hi good news, although not that "news" anymore. However, nice to know, I am starting

with Jetty myself right now, looking forward to the  possibilities that will arise in connection to that.

For the curious, where we are starting to get use for the above-mentioned: in our perfume network...

billig parfym. precios de perfumes. Parfümpreisvergleich.

Assistansanordn... replied on Tue, 2014/06/03 - 6:41am

Strange that they don't use other account authentication google. My site uses jetty assistansanordnare feel free to see it. Thanks for the advises. Best John some other interesting sites are personlig assistans stockholm  and personlig assistans  also feel free to chech these out assistansföretag  and assistansbolag  and personlig assistans norrköping  try this hörapparat stockholm

Assistansanordn... replied on Tue, 2014/06/17 - 11:29am

Every now and then we think its going to make effort but it doesn't without giving lessons to whom it concerns personlig assistans västerås  is one and another is personlig assistans linköping   Try all but not personlig assistans trollhättan.