Enterprise Integration Zone is brought to you in partnership with:

Meera has posted 70 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

Functional Web Services Testing Made Easy with SoapUI - Part 3

05.19.2008

In the first two parts(part 1 and part 2) of this series we have seen how to use SoapUI to write functional tests for web services and also how to use Groovy for test setup, properties transfer, and assertions. As we have already said, tests should be integrated with your builds and should be able to be run with them. If you have automated your builds and they are running as part of your continuous integration (CI) setup, SoapUI comes in even handier: you can run the test suites and the test cases you created and, moreover, you can generate JUnit reports.

This part of the series guides you step-by-step through the Ant tasks for running tests written using SoapUI, generating JUnit reports, integrating with CI, and to top it all off getting code coverage using Cobertura. When you are done with this part, you will be able to reap the benefits of writing tests, continuous integration, and code coverage.

The project we will use is the famous PetStore from Sun’s BluePrints. We will use JPA (with Toplink) for the persistence tier and session beans for the business tier; by adding simple annotations we will publish these session beans as web services. This project has no front end. It will be deployed to the JEE reference app server GlassFish. This is a prototype written for this series in less than an hour using the NetBeans IDE. However, we will pass over the details of project creation in favor of keeping our eyes on the prize: using SoapUI and Ant, generating JUnit reports, integration with CI, and code coverage.

Source code for the AccountManager session bean interface:
package com.stelligent.biz.ws;

import javax.jws.soap.SOAPBinding;
import javax.persistence.*;

import com.stelligent.ent.jpa.Account;

import java.util.*;
/**
* @author msubbarao
@WebService(name="AccountManager", serviceName = "AccountManagerService", targetNamespace = "urn:AccountManagerService")
@SOAPBinding(style = SOAPBinding.Style.RPC)
@Stateless(name="AccountManager")
public class AccountManagerBean implements AccountManager
{
@PersistenceContext
private EntityManager manager;

@WebMethod
public Account create(Account info)
{
this.manager.persist(info);
return info;
}

/**
* Updates the Account entity.
* @param info the Account object used to update.
* @return the info object.
@WebMethod
public Account update(Account info)
{
return this.manager.merge(info);
}

/**
* Removes the Account entity.
* @param info the Account object used to update.
@WebMethod
public void remove(Account info)
{
this.manager.remove(this.manager.getReference(Account.class, info.getUserid()));
}

/**
* Retrieves all the Account entities as an array.
* @return the objects as a Account array.
@WebMethod
public Account[] findAllAccounts()
{
Query query = this.manager.createQuery("SELECT o FROM Account o");
java.util.List<Account> accounts = new java.util.ArrayList<Account>();
java.util.Iterator<Account> iter = query.getResultList().iterator();
while (iter.hasNext())
{
accounts.add(((Account) iter.next()));
}
return (Account[]) accounts.toArray(new Account[accounts.size()]);
}

/**
* This method retrieves the Account entity info using the primary key.
* @param username the String
* @return the object as a AccountInfo or null if not found.
@WebMethod
public Account findByUsername(final String username)
{
try
{
return (Account) this.manager.find(Account.class, username);
}
catch (Exception e)
{
return null;
}
}

}

Published at DZone with permission of its author, Meera Subbarao.

Comments

David Sills replied on Mon, 2008/05/19 - 8:46am

What a terrific series, Meera! This is a great introduction to several tools more developers should be using!

SumaBS replied on Mon, 2008/05/19 - 1:34pm

Excellent Series Meera!

Sreekant Rajan replied on Thu, 2008/05/22 - 3:32pm

hi

I would like to know whether SOAPUI support complextype as input values.

2. whether it provides UI based support of testing Webservices

3. whether it generate test result  in the report fasion.

if you have any product which support all these let me know.

Sreek

Meera Subbarao replied on Thu, 2008/05/22 - 4:10pm

Hi Sreekant,

Everything you have asked above is what SoapUI is. Also, the AccountManagerBean code shown in this page has all the methods except remove method return a complex type, which in my case is the Account entity object. And the create method does take Account as its input as shown below.

@WebMethod
public Account create(Account info)
{
this.manager.persist(info);
return info;
}

Srimaan Yerram replied on Sun, 2008/07/20 - 2:12pm

Excellent Material, Much helpful Thank you very much Meera

Ali Raza replied on Fri, 2008/08/01 - 8:49pm

hi,

I am trying to specify my Test Report XML from soapui

as

C:\Results\2008-08-01_17-32-28\28\report.xml

and I get teh following error in hudson.

'C:\Results\2008-08-01_17-32-28\28\report.xml' doesn't match anything: even 'C:' doesn't exist

What am I doing wrong. why am I getting this error when the report.xml file exists.

Tommy Van Mellaert replied on Thu, 2008/09/04 - 6:37am in response to: Ali Raza

If it is the same cause as in the Test case setup script, then it is the slash.

You used a "backward" slash. It should be a "forward" slash "/" .

Tommy

Ali Raza replied on Thu, 2009/04/23 - 1:22pm

I notice that hudson does not correct display the XML of the soapui request/response. it seems to strip out the ' < ' and ' >' that enclose an element and replace by '& lt;' and '& gt;' respectively. Is there anyway i can property view the XML in hudson. Thanks Ali

yan samantha replied on Tue, 2009/06/16 - 9:23pm

hi,Meera I like this series very much. This is helpful for me. Recently I am doing load testing in soapUI, and I'm confused about it. Have you tried it? I wish you can write something on soapUI load test. Thank you very much. Samantha

john green green replied on Fri, 2009/10/23 - 5:53am

john green green replied on Fri, 2009/10/23 - 5:53am

I notice that hudson does not correct display the XML of the soapui request/response. it seems nike shoes discount to strip out the ' < ' and ' >' that enclose an element and replace by '& lt;' and '& gt;' respectively. Is there anyway i can property view the XML in hudson. Thanks Ali

john green green replied on Sun, 2009/10/25 - 8:48am

Meera I like this series very much. This is helpful nike shoes chinafor me. Recently I am doing load testing in soapUI, and I'm confused about it. Have you tried it? I wish you can write something on soapUI load test. Thank you very much. Samantha

Sujit Nayak replied on Sun, 2010/02/28 - 4:05pm

what a explanation, its so clear and neat.

Realy appreciated your effort.

-Sujit

marissa (not verified) replied on Mon, 2010/11/15 - 12:12pm

I notice that hudson does not correct display the XML of the soapui request/response. it seems to strip out the ' < ' and ' >' that enclose an losing pregnancy weight element and replace by '& lt;' and '& gt;' respectively. Is there anyway i can property view the XML in hudson.

Sridevi Soundarraju replied on Mon, 2011/10/17 - 11:19am

Hi Meera

Please help...

Thanks

Sri

Sridevi Soundarraju replied on Tue, 2011/10/18 - 11:08am

Hi Meera

I have my Jenkins running on linux and SoapUI running on a different windows machine. How do I invoke the cmd.exe and soapui testsuite in that case? Please help... Looking forward for your reply...

Thanks