The Cloudcast - OpenStack, PaaS, Automation, and News
Date: March 10, 2013
By: Aaron Delp and Brian Gracely
Description: Aaron and Brian talk about a very busy couple weeks in the Cloud Computing industry, including news about OpenStack, PaaS platforms, APIs, new tools for AWS, new start-ups and a strange name change.
- VMware Partner Exchange
Where will we be over the next couple months
BG: Keynote at AITP-RTP, Varrow Madness, Structure Data (NYC)
AD: Varrow Madness, OpenStack Summit (blogging and podcasts), Session at Interop
- enStratus changes their name to Enstratius
- IBM Makes a Big Announcement Supporting OpenStack for their cloud offerings
- Rackspace enhances their Private Cloud offering - “OpenCenter”
- OpenStack Operations Guide (Written in a Week!) - I haven’t read in depth (yet) but appears to be a nice almost 200 page document
- Apprenda announces JPMC; Pivotal announces Cloud Foundry is for sale
- AnsibleWorks launches
- AWS launch tools to kill their ecosystem (OpsWorks (automation), Trusted Advisor (billing)); new Premier AWS partners - Are they starting to eat their ecosystem?
- Netflix closes up their API - Twitter did it, Netflix is doing it, what if AWS did it? Trend seems to be to release the API for a community to build and accelerate to market, then remove once you reach a critical mass
- Class Action Lawsuit against Heroku - When I think startup, I don’t think reliability and stability, I think “could go out of business or be bought at any moment”. Are we starting to expect “Enterprise grade” from startups?
- Massimo fires back on Randy Bias - While not an “official VMware response”, Massimo wrote back to Randy’s interesting blog post against VMware
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)