Nicolas Frankel is an IT consultant with 10 years experience in Java / JEE environments. He likes his job so much he writes technical articles on his blog and reviews technical books in his spare time. He also tries to find other geeks like him in universities, as a part-time lecturer. Nicolas is a DZone MVB and is not an employee of DZone and has posted 231 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

Better Maven integration leads to unforeseen consequences (bugs)

09.18.2011
| 4550 views |
  • submit to reddit

This week, I was faced with what seemed an near-insuperable problem. I was called by one of my dev: as soon as he upgraded his Eclipse (or more precisely, our own already-configured Eclipse), he couldn’t deploy to Tomcat through WTP. Here are the steps I took to resolve the problem and more general thoughts about upgrading and tooling.

The log displayed a ClassNotFoundException, one involving Spring. So, the first step is to look under the hood. Provided you used the default configuration – to use workspace metadata – it should be located under <WORKSPACE>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp<i>/wtpwebapps where WORKSPACE is your workspace location and i is an incremental number beginning with 0 assigned by Eclipse to each virtual application server in WTP. There you should see the applications deployed in Eclipse. When I checked, I realized the application was deployed alright, but found no WEB-INF/lib folder.

I had already experienced such deployment problems: I solved them by first forcing publish (right-click on the server and choose Publish) and if not successful, cleaning (it removes all deployment and starts again from scratch). Well, this didn’t work.

Also, sometimes classes are not deployed because there aren’t there in the first place: compilation doesn’t occur (because of bad code or Eclipse may be playful) and this prevents generating .class files. This didn’t seem like the problem but hell, this was a lead like any other. In order to force compilation, clean the project and check recompile afterwards (or check auto build is on). This didn’t work too…

It happened before that closing the project and reopening it resolved some code-unrelated compilation problems. Closing and restarting Eclipse may yield the same results. I did both to no avail. At this point, I was disappointed because all previous steps should have resolved the problem… yet they hadn’t.

Since the project used Maven (and we had m2eclipse installed), I also checked the Maven Dependencies library was correctly referenced: it was. Just to be sure, I disabled and re-enabled dependencies management. Guess what? Nothing changed.

Desperate, I hopelessly browsed through the POM and the following caught my attention:

<plugin>
 <artifactId>maven-war-plugin</artifactId>
 <configuration>
 <packagingExcludes>WEB-INF/lib/*.jar</packagingExcludes>
 </configuration>
</plugin>

This configuration creates skinny WARs so that libraries are not packaged in the WAR but are in the EAR, provided they are referenced, of course (for the right way to create such WARs, see my post from last week). With a faint gleam of hope, I removed the configuration part and it worked, the libraries were finally deployed.

Yes, dear readers, it seems newer versions of the m2eclipse plugin are able to parse some portions of the POM that were not parsed before and act accordingly. Although this is a good news in general, it means we have to carefully check about potential side-effects of upgrading to those newer versions. Of course, this was stupid to upgrade in the first place but think that sometimes it’s mandatory for a newer project.

However, the problem is much more widespread than m2eclipse. It’s very similar to issues adressed in Andrew Spencer’s post, only more so since if we don’t upgrade, we may have to keep an Eclipse instance for each project, that has to be shared between all team members. Right now, I don’t have any solutions for this problem, apart from changing the code to keep in synch with the tool.

PS : since we still wanted to have skinny WARs, I just moved the configuration part in a profile… which was what was configured in the archetype provided by the support team :-)

 

From http://blog.frankel.ch/better-maven-integration-leads-to-unforeseen-consequences-bugs

Published at DZone with permission of Nicolas Frankel, author and DZone MVB.

(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)

Comments

Jonathan Fisher replied on Mon, 2011/09/19 - 1:10am

There's a similar problem with EJBs. Maven can build a client jar for you, but sometimes you have dependencies in the EJB that you don't want on the client. The typical way to resolve this is to set the unwanted dependencies in the EJB pom as optional, then in the EAR, redeclare them but as not as optional. At some point, WTP got updated to be smart enough to pick up the optional tag, and now your server dependencies don't get deployed to your server. Dang...

Mladen Girazovski replied on Mon, 2011/09/19 - 1:29am

As usual, updates represent a risk.

I recently updated from m2eclipse to the new m2e and had to face this:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered

Updates of IDEs, build tools and (IDE/build tool) plugins should be tested before applied by developers, ifthe project can't be build anymore, work usually stops right there.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.