New OpenCms 8.0.3 available from Alkacon
OpenCms 8.0.3 is now ready and available for download.
OpenCms is one of the most popular Open Source Content Management Solutions. This new version was developed by Alkacon Software GmbH with the support of the international OpenCms developer community.
OpenCms 8 contains a greatly improved user interface for content managers and numerous other enhancements.
With OpenCms 8.0.3, many important and useful additional features and improvements have been added to the core system and a number of issues that persisted in the 8.0.2 release have been fixed.
Main improvements in OpenCms 8.0.3
- With the introduction of "Function Pages", JSP based dynamic pages can be added with simple drag and drop in the sitemap editor.
- The sitemap editor's improved "Create Page" dialog offers a wider choice of types distinguishing "Container Pages", "Type Pages" and "Function Pages".
- It is now also possible to select the page model when using the sitemap editor's context menu option "Create sub-page".
- The available container page models can be accessed for editing directly from the "Create page" dialog in the sitemap editor.
- The sitemap editor executes the "Show page" action if the page icon in the sitemap is clicked.
- JSP function elements can now have multiple formatters to be used in different containers.
- The element option bar displays a "Resource is currently locked" icon if an element is currently edited by another user.
- The content galleries have been improved with a text search field to directly search for "Galleries" and "Categories".
Please check out the release notes for further details of the changes in this release.
Other features of OpenCms 8.0
- The "Advanced Direct Edit" mode allows to create page content by drag & drop.
- The sitemap editor allows to create new pages and rearrange the navigation tree by drag & drop.
- A multiple file enabled upload dialog all based on HTML replaced the old "Upload Applet".
- The "Content Subscription Engine" allows to inform users when important documents have changed.
- The XML content editor now support <xsd:choice> elements.
- The publish dialog supports session based selection of content as well as add/remove of individual resources.
- Extended support for creation of content for mobile devices with the <cms:mobile> tag.
- A central "Shared Folder" has been added that is available from all sites for sharing content.
- JPA support has been added to the database layer, so there's support for 10 additional databases.
We recommend everyone who uses OpenCms to update to the 8.0.3 release. OpenCms 8.0.3 is fully backward compatible to all prior 7.x versions. Templates and other OpenCms developed code from version 7.0 or 7.5 should work "out of the box" with version 8.0.3.
Users of the Alkacon OCEE packages require a new version of Alkacon OCEE for use with this OpenCms release. OpenCms 8.0.3 requires Alkacon OCEE version 3.0.3 or newer.
Independent research has shown OpenCms to be a market leading solution amongst Open Source CMS systems. The software has been in continuous development for the last 10 years and has an active community of Open Source developers.
More than 100 international IT companies have been registered as official OpenCms Solution Provider on the OpenCms website. A steadily growing list of reference sites also shows the increasing use of OpenCms.
OpenCms is an enterprise - ready web content management solution build in Java and XML from open source components. OpenCms can easily be deployed on almost any existing IT infrastructure and provides powerful features especially suited for medium and large enterprise internet or intranet applications. OpenCms is open source software distributed under the LGPL license.
Alkacon Software GmbH is the company responsible for the development of OpenCms. Today OpenCms is a leading open source CMS solution in widespread use all over the world. Many businesses and organizations use OpenCms as a cost effective, professional alternative to expensive license products.
Alkacon Software GmbH offers its customers training, support and add-on products for OpenCms. This gives our customers a layer of security and convenience often required for mission critical OpenCms installations. Please see the Alkacon product overview for more details.
The team at Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts wants to thank everyone who has contributed to this release of OpenCms.
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)