Echo3 Web Framework & EchoStudio Beta
- Improved layout capabilities: Layouts components such as SplitPanes can now auto-size regions to the needs of their content. Percent and text-size relative positioning is supported throughout the framework. Using these capabilities, user interfaces can scale properly with changes in font size and/or display pixel density.
- Performance improvements, polish, cleanups, and testing: Echo3 is memory stable and responsive even in old browsers (IE6) on old hardware, and has generally matured since beta1.
Echo is open-source software, licensed under the Mozilla Public License (or alternatively under the GNU LGPL or GNU GPL licenses).
EchoStudio3 is an Eclipse-based tool which provides the capability to develop Echo-based user interfaces visually. As of beta1, EchoStudio3's features include:
- A WYSIWYG, point-and-click Form Editor.
- A StyleSheet editor for creating application themes.
- Project creation wizards, with various project templates including an example E-Mail application.
- Ability to run and debug Echo applications from within Eclipse using a built-in Jetty servlet container.
- An Echo2 -> Echo3 Migration Wizard to convert Echo2 applications to Echo3. This feature DOES NOT require that the source application have been created with EchoStudio for Echo2.
EchoStudio is commercial software, licensed per developer. The product is available as a full-featured free trial.
A demonstration application is available at http://demo.nextapp.com/echo3csjs
More information and downloads for the open-source Echo framework can be found at http://echo.nextapp.com
Information on the commercial EchoStudio product can be found at http://www.nextapp.com/products/echostudio
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)